How to get your motorcycle licence in Canada


New Brunswick

In 2015, New Brunswick introduced a graduated licensing program. To start down the road to your full licence, you must be 16 years old (with parental permission under age 18). You must also pass a vision test, pass a written test, and a test on signage.  You must also pass an approved motorcycle safety instruction course (more details here).

After passing that course, you can enter the year-long GDL program. You cannot ride your motorcycle after dark during this 12-month period, you must have a 0% blood alcohol content level while riding, and you will not be allowed to tow a motorcycle trailer.

Riders in the GDL program who do not also hold a car licence will only be issued four points on their motorcycle licence, so driving infractions could easily lose you your licence. As well, if you are under 21 years old, being caught with alcohol in your blood will not just torpedo your motorcycle licence, it will also mean the suspension of your car licence.

After the 12-month period is up, you must pass a road test to earn either a Class 6 or Class 6D (under 550 cc) licence. If you apply for a Class 6 licence, you will be “required to demonstrate you can balance and maneuver the bike … .” In other words,be prepared to push your bagger around the parking lot to get your licence.

More details on New Brunswick’s motorcycle licencing program are here and here.


  1. Someone once told me that here in BC, when he got his licence back in the 70s, the clerk walked out into the parking lot and told him, “Ride out that gate there, and ride back in that gate over there.”

    Exiting through the one gate put you on a one-way street, and the only way to get back was to take a long loop around the block that went through a couple of intersections and over some railroad tracks. If you made it back in one piece you got your endorsement.

  2. Maybe check your info on the ON licence – you state in the article “You must hold your M1 licence for at least 60 days before taking a road test to advance to an M2 licence”….incorrect, you can take a recognized course anywhere in that time period, do the test within the course & be M2 qualified – the Ministry just waits until the 60 days to recognize it. Also you write “After 22 months you may then take a second road test to get your unrestricted M licence.” It is only 18 months if you take a recognized course.

    • Nope wife and I did the Ontario M licencing and the ministry states you have your M1 for ONLY 90 days after passing the written test, but after 60 days can you take your M1 exiting test and after the 90 days are up you either have your M2/ML or you have to start the process all over again.

  3. My dad took his car test back in the 50s and the examiner said, “Oh, do you want this to be good for a motorcycle too?” When my dad said “Sure!” The examiner ticked a second box and there you go – licensed for a bike for life.

  4. I had always assumed that to get your motorcycle licence in Alberta that you just went through the same process as a regular drivers’ licence there – fill out the form on the back of the cereal box, cut it out and mail it in with your proof of purchase.
    Learn something new every day.

  5. Times have changed…my dad took his test in Windsor Ontario in the late 60’s and it was basically ride around the block from the mto office and if you made it back in 1 piece you passed

Join the conversation!