How to get your motorcycle licence in Canada


Prince Edward Island

To acquire a PEI motorcycle licence, you undergo a year-long graduated program. You must be 16 years old to start the program, and if under 18 years old, both parents must sign a consent form.

The process starts with a written test and vision test. If you do not complete an approved motorcycle safety course, you must also attend a five-hour safety program run by the province. Pass these, and you will be issued a Class 6 Instruction Permit.

You must hold this permit for 12 months before taking a road test to acquire your full Class 6 licence. While you hold the Instruction Permit, you will be issued a yellow decal for the back of your helmet, to indicate you are a learning rider. While riding, you must be supervised by an accompanying supervisory rider/driver who’s held a licence for at least four years.

After 12 months of your Instruction Permit, you can take a road test and get your Class 6 Novice, Stage 2 licence. You no longer need to be supervised while riding, but you must still wear the sticker indicating you’re a beginner. Nighttime riding restrictions are eased somewhat (no riding between 1 AM and 5 AM now). You can apply for a Class 6 Novice Licence, Stage 3, after 12 months of holding the Stage 2 licence.

With your Stage 3, you still must wear the yellow sticker on your helmet, but all nighttime riding restrictions are lifted. After a year of this licence, you can acquire your full, unrestricted licence and remove the yellow sticker.

Learner riders must have 0% blood alcohol content while enrolled in the GDL program, and cannot use headphones, cellphones, or other handheld electronic devices while riding. More details on the program are available here.


  1. Someone once told me that here in BC, when he got his licence back in the 70s, the clerk walked out into the parking lot and told him, “Ride out that gate there, and ride back in that gate over there.”

    Exiting through the one gate put you on a one-way street, and the only way to get back was to take a long loop around the block that went through a couple of intersections and over some railroad tracks. If you made it back in one piece you got your endorsement.

  2. Maybe check your info on the ON licence – you state in the article “You must hold your M1 licence for at least 60 days before taking a road test to advance to an M2 licence”….incorrect, you can take a recognized course anywhere in that time period, do the test within the course & be M2 qualified – the Ministry just waits until the 60 days to recognize it. Also you write “After 22 months you may then take a second road test to get your unrestricted M licence.” It is only 18 months if you take a recognized course.

    • Nope wife and I did the Ontario M licencing and the ministry states you have your M1 for ONLY 90 days after passing the written test, but after 60 days can you take your M1 exiting test and after the 90 days are up you either have your M2/ML or you have to start the process all over again.

  3. My dad took his car test back in the 50s and the examiner said, “Oh, do you want this to be good for a motorcycle too?” When my dad said “Sure!” The examiner ticked a second box and there you go – licensed for a bike for life.

  4. I had always assumed that to get your motorcycle licence in Alberta that you just went through the same process as a regular drivers’ licence there – fill out the form on the back of the cereal box, cut it out and mail it in with your proof of purchase.
    Learn something new every day.

  5. Times have changed…my dad took his test in Windsor Ontario in the late 60’s and it was basically ride around the block from the mto office and if you made it back in 1 piece you passed

Join the conversation!