How to get your motorcycle licence in Canada



The process for getting a motorcycle licence in Quebec is convoluted — quelle surprise! You must start the process by acquiring your Class 6R learner’s licence. You must be 16 years old, with a parent or guardian’s permission if you are under 18, to get the Class 6R. You must also pass a written test and vision test. With your Class 6R licence, you can ride on a closed circuit or on the street with an instructor, as part of an approved training program.

Once you have your Class 6R, you must enroll at an accredited riding school; you have a minimum of 30 days to pass the riding course, which will include portions on a closed track, and then on the street, as well as classroom practical training.

Then, you can take a practical riding skills test on a closed track, and get your Class 6A learner’s licence. Pass this test, and you can ride with an experienced rider accompanying you (licensed for two years) for the next 11 months.

After those 11 months are up, you can take a road test for your Class 6A (unrestricted), Class 6B (125 cc- 400 cc), or Class 6C (125 cc and under) licence. If you do not also hold a Class 5 licence, you’ll be issued a two-year probationary licence; otherwise, you’re good to go.

For more details, including the process for acquiring a Class 6E licence (three-wheelers, like the Polaris Slingshot), click here.


  1. Someone once told me that here in BC, when he got his licence back in the 70s, the clerk walked out into the parking lot and told him, “Ride out that gate there, and ride back in that gate over there.”

    Exiting through the one gate put you on a one-way street, and the only way to get back was to take a long loop around the block that went through a couple of intersections and over some railroad tracks. If you made it back in one piece you got your endorsement.

  2. Maybe check your info on the ON licence – you state in the article “You must hold your M1 licence for at least 60 days before taking a road test to advance to an M2 licence”….incorrect, you can take a recognized course anywhere in that time period, do the test within the course & be M2 qualified – the Ministry just waits until the 60 days to recognize it. Also you write “After 22 months you may then take a second road test to get your unrestricted M licence.” It is only 18 months if you take a recognized course.

    • Nope wife and I did the Ontario M licencing and the ministry states you have your M1 for ONLY 90 days after passing the written test, but after 60 days can you take your M1 exiting test and after the 90 days are up you either have your M2/ML or you have to start the process all over again.

  3. My dad took his car test back in the 50s and the examiner said, “Oh, do you want this to be good for a motorcycle too?” When my dad said “Sure!” The examiner ticked a second box and there you go – licensed for a bike for life.

  4. I had always assumed that to get your motorcycle licence in Alberta that you just went through the same process as a regular drivers’ licence there – fill out the form on the back of the cereal box, cut it out and mail it in with your proof of purchase.
    Learn something new every day.

  5. Times have changed…my dad took his test in Windsor Ontario in the late 60’s and it was basically ride around the block from the mto office and if you made it back in 1 piece you passed

Join the conversation!