The YZ450F is a serious piece of machinery, favoured by trail riders and enduro racers who aren’t swayed or scared away by its lofty performance capabilities. Based on Yamaha’s flagship motocross racer, the WR450F gets several upgrades for the 2021 model year, including unique settings for enduro riding.
Stemming from experience gained in MX competition but built for the trail, the WR450F gets reworked for 2021 to turn, stop and perform better than before according to Yamaha, who cite that the bike not only had more power, but that it is more controllable, and offers better traction.
A new aluminum bilateral beam frame from the flagship YZ450F was tuned for enduro use with WR-specific engine mount brackets, thinner main spars with thicker bottom tubes. The enhanced KYB suspension offers improved stability. Offered in the same Yamaha Racing Blue colour scheme as its YZ and FX stabelemates, the WR450F Is expected to start arriving in Canadian dealers in October for an MSRP of $11,199.
More compact and lighter than the previous WR450F’s, the engine has been redesigned to deliver stronger and more controllable performance. Yamaha says that it is essentially the new-generation YZ450F, but tuned for enduro. The Intake/exhaust, aggressive cam profiles and ECU settings were designed to achieve a balance of performance and control. Weight has been shifted lower for better balance and easier handling. It also ups the compression ratio from 12.8:1 to 13:1. The WR450F’s five-speed transmission offers improved feel, added durability and a shorter stroke, with shorter gearing from first to third and a taller fifth gear.
Updates for 2021:
• New cylinder head weighs 310 g less than previous version
• Increased compression ratio (13.0:1 from 12.8:1)
• New intake/exhaust valve angles and intake port design
• New piston and more concave combustion chamber for increased power
• Tougher five-speed gearbox with heat-resistant friction plates and enduro-focused gearing
• New controlled-fill aluminium bilateral beam frame tuned for enduro
• Revised top triple clamp, front wheel axle and bar mounts for optimal front-end rigidity balance
• Revised KYB speed sensitive fork and shock absorber tuned for enduro
• Revised brake calipers with larger caliper pistons and increased rigidity
• New brake pads with 25 percent larger surface area
• New compact instrument display with fuel consumption indicator
• New lighter footpegs
• Lighter and stronger front axle shaft, top triple clamp, handlebar clamps (from YZ450F)
• Rearward-slanted cylinder design with mass-centralized wraparound exhaust
• Lightweight electric starter motor
• Tool-free airbox access
• Large plastic engine guard
• Large-capacity radiator and cooling fan
• 18-inch rear wheel designed for excellent performance in enduro riding and wide tire choice
• Four-position adjustable handlebars
• Sealed chain
• 7.9 L plastic fuel tank and compact fuel pump
• Forged aluminum kickstand sits close to the bike
• Meets global emissions standards