Images and information about the 2020 KTM 890 Duke R has been arriving in fits and starts, with images and video sporadically being shared with different markets at different times. While we haven’t been told how many units will be allocated for Canada, we do now have confirmation of technical specifications and Canadian pricing of $12,599. The full KTM Canada News Release can be found below:
2020 KTM 890 Duke R
THE SUPER SCALPEL
With the lightweight, compact and razor-sharp packaging of the KTM 790 DUKE as its starting point, the KTM 890 DUKE R brings out the best in the DUKE thanks to increased power and torque from the new 890 cc engine, ‘racier’ ergonomics, performance BREMBO brakes, fully adjustable WP APEX suspension, and enhanced electronic rider aids—just to name a few of the performance features that come standard on the “R.” It was designed to be a sportier and edgier no-compromise naked motorcycle for conquering twisty mountain roads or hard riding on the racetrack. The KTM 890 DUKE R is the ideal machine for the motorcyclist wanting a more extreme experience or searching for bigger thrills in a compact and agile package.
2020 KTM 890 R DUKE HIGHLIGHTS
• Extremely powerful, torquey parallel twin 890 cc DOHC engine with electronic fuel injection,
dual balancer shafts, PASC slipper clutch and Ride-by-Wire for a smoother and more refined
• Based on the parallel twin of the KTM 790 DUKE, the engine features an increased bore and
stroke, higher compression ratio and rpm ceiling, larger valves and a new piston design
coupled with new connecting rods and a new crankshaft, all wrapped in new engine cases.
• New crankshaft with 20% more rotating mass for improved engine character at constant
speed and improved cornering stability due to its gyroscopic effect.
• New sensors specifically developed for KTM by DELL’ORTO in each throttle body to measure the manifold pressure and adjust the mixture accordingly, allowing individual mapping control per cylinder.
• New box piston features 10 gram weight reduction despite larger bore,
three piston rings and a bronze conrod bearing to support the increased
RPM and power.
• New cylinder head developed to accommodate a set of larger 37 mm intake and 30 mm exhaust valves, a new camshaft with increased lift and more aggressive profile and a new balancer shaft to match the increased RPM and increased rotating mass.
• Faster gear changes have been achieved through shorter shift lever action. This is combined with new settings for the optional Quickshifter+ to improve clutchless up and down shifting action.
• Precise, ultralight tubular Chromium Molybdenum steel frame with a cast aluminum subframe.
• Fully adjustable, cutting-edge WP APEX forks feature split function damping for excellent response, stability and tuneability.
• Fully adjustable WP APEX shock offers high and low speed compression settings, as well as rebound adjustment. A hydraulically adjustable preload adjuster allows for quick and easy tuning on the fly.
• Triple clamp stiffness has been tuned to match the flex of the fork, contributing to sporty handling and excellent feedback. An aluminum steering stem has been used instead of steel, as on the KTM 790 DUKE, to reduce the overall weight.
• Powerful BREMBO Stylema brake calipers paired with lighter 320 mm floating front discs offer unmated stopping power and a 1.2 kg (2.6 lbs) reduction of unsprung weight.
• BREMBO MCS master cylinder allows the rider to adjust lever ratio and brake feel.
• Cornering ABS with Supermoto ABS for rider-centric control.
• A completely new generation of lean-angle sensitive MTC (Motorcycle Traction Control) now
uses two different controllers (a wheelslip controller and a pitch angle controller) to offer advanced traction control behavior and settings.
• Selectable ride modes including Sport, Street, Rain and optional Track allow for easy changes to engine and MTC character.
• Optional Track mode includes 9-level adjustable traction control, launch control and anti-wheelie off.
• Multifunctional dashboard with full-color TFT display is bright and clear.
• Premium Michelin Power Cup tires offer exceptional grip in all track and street conditions.
• Sharp aggressive styling runs from the front to the rear for a look that is pure DUKE and includes an orange powder coated frame, standard on “R” models.
• LED headlight and LED daytime running lights for excellent visibility and illumination.
• Die-cast, open-lattice swingarm is precisely manufactured and has been optimized for stiffness while still offering excellent flex characteristics and features a steeper angle for increased stability.
• WP steering damper fitted as standard and set up to feel as natural as possible, giving the rider a secure feeling while keeping the agile riding character of the bike.
• New, flatter tapered aluminum handlebar offers a more aggressive riding position and is adjustable in 4 positions on the triple clamp and can be rotated in three further positions.
Engine Type: Parallel Twin, 4-Stroke, DOHC
Displacement: 890 cc
Bore/Stroke: 90.7/68.8 mm
Starter: Electric; 12V 10Ah
Transmission: 6 Gears
Fuel System: DKK Dell’Orto, 46 mm Throttle Body
Lubrication: Pressure Lubrication with 2 Oil Pumps
Cooling: Liquid Cooling with Water/Oil Heat Exchanger
Clutch: PASC (Power Assisted Slipper Clutch), Mechanically Operated
Ignition: Bosch EMS with Ride-By-Wire
Frame: CroMoly Tubular Steel, Engine as Stressed Member
Subframe: Cast Aluminum
Handlebar: Aluminum, Tapered, Ø 26/22 mm
Front Suspension: WP APEX USD Ø 43 mm
Rear Suspension: WP APEX Monoshock
Suspension Travel Front/Rear: 140 mm/5.5 in; 150 mm/5.9 in
Front/Rear Brakes: Disc Brake 320 mm/240 mm
Front/Rear Wheels: 3.50 x 17”, 5.50 x 17”
Front/Rear Tires: 120/70ZR17”; 180/55ZR17”
Steering Head Angle: 24.3º
Wheelbase: 1,482 mm ± 15 mm / 58.3 ± 0.6 in
Ground Clearance: 206 mm / 8.1 in
Seat Height: 834 mm / 32.8 in
Tank Capacity: 14 L / 3.7 gal
Weight (without fuel), Approx: 166 kg / 365.9 lbs