The Macau GP ran last weekend, with Brit Stuart Easton taking top place, and Canadian Dan Kruger making a good showing in his first appearance.
While not as well-known in North America as the Isle of Man races, the Macau GP attracts the same racers and is probably even more crazy; it pits riders against each other down tight city streets at high speeds, where the margin for error is pretty much zero.
The top five and eight of the top 10 finishers were all from the UK. The most famous racer, John McGuinness, only managed seventh. There were seven DNFs.
Canadian Kruger was unsure about his attendance up until almost the last minute, but managed to get his Kawasaki to China ; he was pretty far down the standings, but proved he has what it takes to survive Macau, which is no mean feat itself. We’ve got a YouTube clip of an interview with Kruger below, and we’ll try to get some more details from him this week.
You can also see a clip below featuring the mad high-speed antics of this year’s race – looks like it was a doozy!
2014 Macau GP results
1. Stuart Easton, UK (Kaw ZX-10R), 12 laps, 29:45.143
2. Michael Rutter, UK (Yam YZF-R1), -14.050 seconds
3. Martin Jessopp, UK (BMW S1000RR), -14.505
4. Gary Johnson, UK (Hon CBR1000RR), -15.717
5. Lee Johnston, UK (Hon CBR1000RR), -24.163
6. Horst Saiger, Austria (Kaw ZX-10R), -26.330
7. John McGuinness, UK (Hon CBR1000RR), -30.479
8. Daniel Cooper, UK (BMW S1000RR), -49.091
9. Roman Stamm, Switzerland (Kaw ZX-10R), -49.449
10. Stephen Thompson, UK (BMW S1000RR), -53.760
11. Didier Grams, Germany (BMW S1000RR), -56.711
12. Mark Miller, USA (EBR 1190RS), -64.891
13. James McBride, UK (Yam YZF-R1), -66.128
14. Davy Morgan, UK (Hon CBR1000RR), -67.989
15. Allan-Jon Venter, South Africa (Yam YZF-R1), -73.608
16. Steve Heneghan, Ireland (Kaw ZX-10R), -107.336
17. Graham English, UK (BMW S1000RR), -120.669
18. Sandor Bitter, Hungary (Hon CBR1000RR), -123.377
19. Nuno Caetano, Portugal (Kaw ZX-10R), -133.469
20. Dan Kruger, Canada (Kaw ZX-10R), -136.151
21. Michael Sweeney, Ireland (Kaw ZX-10R), -142.178
22. Brian McCormack, Ireland (Suz GSX-R1000), -1 lap, DNF
23. Steve Mercer, UK (BMW S1000RR), -2 laps, DNF, mechanical
24. Brandon Cretu, USA (EBR 1190RS), -6 laps, DNF, crash
25. James Storrar, UK (BMW S1000RR), -7 laps, DNF
26. Paul Shoesmith, UK (BMW S1000RR), -8 laps, DNF
27. Ian Hutchinson, UK (Kaw ZX-10R), -10 laps, DNF, crash
28. Marc Fissette, Belgium (Suz GSX-R1000), -12 laps, DNF